10 Habits of a Happy Mama
I’ve met happy moms and sad moms and I’ve been on both sides of that coin at different times during my last two-years of mommy-hood raising a toddler.
These past few days I’ve been feeling a little off. That tape has been playing in my head telling me I’m well … a loser. Can you imagine? The nerve. In any case, I’m sure you know that tape that plays over and over like a faint song we can’t get out of our heads, leaving us feeling uncomfortable and bad about ourselves. Our mind loves to put us down and we just can’t listen. So I’m watching those negative thoughts and letting them pass. Now moving on …
Side note: My friend who is an astrology expert tells me there’s a lunar eclipse happening this week in my sign of Leo, which is making everyone and especially me a little crazy. By end of the month, we should all feel better. Phew.
In the meantime, I know what has kept me sane and even joyful through my days and sometimes sleepless night of being a mommy. I’ve seen these practices in some of the most positive moms I’ve met. Here are the 10 best things you can do for yourself to stay happy and even-keeled each day:
- Find Me Time. Take a few hours each week to be with yourself and do things you love each week. That time you spend alone will recharge you and connect you with yourself again.
- Have Great Mom Friends. We all want that great mom friend who gets us and can chat with(or text) us about the little and big things we go through. Find 2-3 mom friends you can call on for anything, especially for a fun night out. Here’s a blog post I wrote about how to make good mom friends.
- Enjoy Your Spouse. A good and fun marriage is everything. We all fight at times, but make sure you find ways to make up and have a great time together through this parenthood journey. Scheduling fun date nights every couple of weeks is a great way to start.
- Exercise Weekly. Those endorphins you get from working out keep you balanced and give you a natural high. Plus there’s no better feeling, than getting into great shape. The practice of yoga especially will leave you with a blissful feeling.
- Juggle Well. Strike the right balance between work, family, and fun.That balance is different for everyone and only you know what you need. With work being so demanding for moms, this juggle can be tough. But it’s possible to achieve if you make the right decisions.
- Eat Right. Avoid excessive sugar and alcohol as much as possible. Though, I know avoiding that glass of wine is tough! Eat a nice share of veggies and fruit each day and find a balanced diet that works for you. Check out this post about the top diets out there.
- Curb the Screens. Spend less time on the computer and your phone and more time in the real world doing what you love. Studies show, staring at social media all day creates a depressive state in people. Try to leave the phones and gadgets at home as much as possible.
- Don’t Try to Control. Most of what happens to us and our little ones are beyond our control. When we try to take charge of every moment and not allow things to be and unfold, we suffer. Think of life as the sea and let it flow.
- Don’t Overthink. The mind is a rabbit whole of illusions and uncertainty. When you feel yourself ruminating and overthinking every scenario, stop yourself. Instead, watch those thoughts and let them pass like I’m doing with my own negative thinking these days!
- Love Yourself. You’re no good to anyone if you can’t love yourself. Remember that you’re perfect, just as you are, even stripped away of everything.
The choices we make and thoughts we chose to listen to affect our happiness at each moment. Being a mom can be the most amazing times in our lives if we let it be. Keep these habits in mind and incorporate them into your life. They will help you turn off that negative faint song and tune into that joyful state, that is the real you. By: Mommy Writers